Sunday, March 28, 2010

What did I know, Lord? When did I know it?

LK 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

But.
Aye, there’s the rub.
They know not what they do – today.

But. They will.
They will know.
We will know.

1 Cor 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
How do we reconcile God’s will to save us from before the beginning of creation with the God given free will of Judas, Herod & Pilate?
How do we reconcile God’s unfailing mercy and forgiveness with the call to live a virtuous life?
After all if Christ has paid my debt in full, in advance, why no be lazy or even wicked? It might be ungrateful, but I can count on being forgiven for that too, can’t I?
What if Judas or Pilate had chosen the path of virtue?
Christ would still have gone to the Cross, for you and for me. But!
But on “the dreadful day of judgment when the secrets of all hearts will be revealed,”  Judas or Pilate would have an easier time knowing themselves even as they are fully known.
None of us, by our free will, can frustrate God’s will for the whole world. Nor can we sin so greatly that the Atonement will be insufficient. But!
But when we know as we are known, we will know! We will know just how every person we have used or hurt felt as we sinned against them. We will know the suffering of everyone who we passed by and looked away when their need was before us.


1 comment:

  1. Ouch! It's much more comfortable to say with certainty that I would never had said "crucify him!". I forget how many times I have said it by my actions and inactions .

    ReplyDelete